Pillars of Light

yesterday-evening as I was on my way home from work, I saw the Pillars of Light. No, I'm not a crackpot or something. There's this optical-illusion that is visible when the temperature gets cold enough. And yesterday it was something like -20 degrees celcius. I don't know what exactly happens, but as the temperature drops, you can see these pillars of lights around bright lights (streetlights and brighter in reality). The brighter the light, the more visible the pillar is. It looks like there's a beam of light that shoots straight up from the light-source. It looks pretty cool. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures to show :(.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Why the hell not? You should have immediately gone to fetch your camera to show this phenomena to persons who live in areas of the world where it will NEVER get to -20C. Ahem. It's a mild 25C today.

Janne said...

Alas, I was in a bus and I had no camera available :(. And I don't think that there are bright enough lights around our place to really show the effect really well. It's just barely visible on streetlights, so I need something brighter to really show it off. But I promise that next time the temperature gets cold enough, I will find some suitable lights and take some pictures of them :).