Web 2.0

I feel like I'm the "man in the middle" when it comes to the Internet. There are the grandmasters who were online and emailing since the eighties. Then there are the young whippersnappers who have lived and breathed Internet since they were five year old. And then there are people like me. I got online at around 1994 or so. I was about 17 or so.

Now, kids (and some other power-users as well) these days are crazy about "Web 2.0". Blogs "like this one) are old skool, but they of course have at least one blog. Besides blogs they have accounts in Facebook and MySpace. They also use Twitter, and their IM contact-list is 200 names long. they spend their time on YouTube posting videos and commenting other videos (through video-responses in YouTube, naturally) What about me? Well, I have an account in LinkedIn, but I don't really use it. No MySpace or Facebook. And I have no contacts in IM. I do like YouTube, but I don't comment nor do I post videos.

I guess just about only "web 2.0"-thing I do is occasional edits to Wikipedia and subscribtion to few podcasts. But other than that, nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if I get called "grandpa" by 10-year olds pretty soon.

OK, I do have this blog, but that's about it.

Well, a while agoI took yet another tiny step in becoming "master of Web 2.0": I subscribed to two video-feeds in YouTube. First one is HotForWords (I know what you are thinking. Yes I do), and the other one is Pat Condell (Some people might not like him, but I found his comments to be insightful and funny. Please don't kill me.).

What's the point of this blog-post? No idea. I guess I had a plan when I started typing it, but it got lost somewhere. And as I re-read what I have written, it seems that I'm not as old-fashioned as I thought. I participate in Wikipedia, I have a blog, I do podcasts... Maybe I'm allright in the end.

No comments: